I love to shop, but, I HATE spending money on fairly expensive household items that go unnoticed. Items like bath towels. These are a must. And the good ones will cost you a pretty penny. Sure, you can get cheaper ones — but you get what you pay for. Towels have a life span of about 7 years. After that, the washing machine usually does a number on them. And mysterious stains show up on them and one day you realize you are drying yourself with a towel that looks like it belongs to a homeless person.
Kitchenware and other small appliances are another costly investment. Look around your kitchen and the dollars start adding up. You are sure to find cutlery, silverware, toaster ovens, toasters, coffee makers (Keuring, ahem.), some fancy folks like to display the Kitchen Aid mixer (I don’t own one), and of course pots and pans. These are usually tucked away in the pantry, cupboard, or maybe even the stove. These little suckers are not cheap to replace. Again, depending on the brand you go with… you get what you pay for.
I recently noticed that some of the pans we cook with were starting to have gouges in them. Scratch marks, with some of the aluminum missing. My common sense told me they should be replaced. I started to do some pricing in stores and was annoyed at the cost of some of these sets. The good cookware brands made with copper material will run you into the hundreds of dollars. The cheap sets will cost you only about $40 and up depending on the store. But, the material is cheaper (and unhealthier) and will not last as long.
So, I figured I’d meet somewhere in the middle and not spend more than $150 on our new set. We were at Walmart and I noticed a pretty line of cookware with a name I had never heard of before. I was reluctant. So, of course I referred to Google for some reviews. After reading good feedback on the brand, I was interested. The Green+Life™brand of cookware with an attractive look also had an attractive price of $80 for a 14-piece set. This is what the brand states:
Green+Life™ tries to produce products as responsibly as possible:
- Green+Life™ products are cadmium- and lead-free
- Green+Life™ products are manufactured without PFOA
- 60% less CO2 is emitted during the curing phase of production of Thermolon™ coatings, compared to the emissions during the curing phase of production of traditional coatings on an aggregate level worldwide
- Uses Thermolon™ healthy ceramic non-stick coating
- Thermolon™ is heat resistant up to 850oF
- Extremely scratch resistant, excellent non-stick properties, very easy to clean
- Oven and broiler safe
- Safe with plastic, rubber or wooden utensils, not metal utensil safe